- Attractive Price Point: Right now you could get the Panasonic GH4 of up to 70% off the original R.R.P. When the GH4 was first released the price point was just under $2000 USD. Right now I have found it to be under $700 brand new on Amazon and other online retailers.
- Great Battery Life: Some GH5 shooters complaint that the GH5 has less battery life than the GH4. They didn’t know that it is the same battery as the GH4. The reason why the GH5 chewed up so much juices was the In Body Image Stabiliser (IBIS). As a time lapse photographer we don’t need IBIS so upgrade to the GH5 is a waste of money.
- Can Still Shoot 4K: That’s right the original 4K camera that shaken the world of photography and videography. I had the G7 and that was a poor man 4K camera. Now the GH4 is a poor man camera with this price point.
- Can do Slow Motion: If you never experiment with Slow Motion video capture then the GH4 is a great entry to this world of video making. It is an upgrade to my G7 that for sure.
- Head Phone Jack: If you doing video you need to monitor the audio as things can easily goes wrong with audio. Yes good audio is hard to capture. And the GH4 has the audio head phone jack so we can monitor audio while record video. I know I have messed up a few videos because of poor audio recordings.
- Whether Sealed Body: GH4 is build to last. It was has a magnesium alloy body that is whether sealed so it could take abuse. I certainly did miss a few shots in my time with the G7 as I know I have to treat it like a baby. With the GH4 let it rocks in any conditions.
- Great Used Market: The GH4 is out for at least 6 years and you could easily find a used market for it. Guys upgrading to 35mm sensor and GH5, so even more bargain available.
- Built In Video Making After Time Lapse: Number one reason to get a Panasonic Lumix camera. After you’re done with the time lapse sequence, the camera can stich the photos to into a video for you to enjoy. No further post processing is necessary.
- Built-in Intervalometer: It has built-in intervalometer that you don’t need other accessories to get shooting time lapse.
- You could get 2 GH4. With the current price, you could get two GH4 and not break the bank. And as a time lapse shooter we need at least two cameras with us all the time. One for time lapse and one for other kind of photography. Since we’re on location already, mind as well make the most of it.
Gear Used/Demonstrated for Video and Photos: All Links are Affiliated
Galaxy S8 https://amzn.to/2OPhVwQ
Rode Wireless Go https://amzn.to/3vKfkoE
Rode Microphone Videomicro https://amzn.to/3vI0Oh4
Manfrotto tripod https://amzn.to/2OOF0Qh
Panasonic Lumix G7 https://amzn.to/2ONJfvi
Panasonic Lumix GH4 https://amzn.to/2NZwJIY
Panasonic Lumix GH5 https://amzn.to/3cjMZxI
Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 https://amzn.to/3cP11Xc